Osteopenia

This is the 4tyh time I am seeing Dr. Wong on my fractured wrist. I am a bit worried over my fracture as it is almost three months since I fell down. The movement is restricted. The angle of movement becomes less. My fingers can't be bent to their fullest. My wrist couldn't twist well.
When I tell Dr. Wong about the progress, he is calm to listen and he smilingly tells me not to worry. It is usual when people of my age fall and have fracture. Most of the time it is due to osteoporosis. He tells me to exercise my fingers everyday by holding a ball and squeezing it whenever I am free. For my wrist, he asked me to hold  half a bottle of mineral water (500ml) in my hand and keep on turning it up and down to exerc ise my wrist. Gradually, the amount of water needs to be increased to create a heavier load to pull my hand to a wider angle. The process will take around 4 months to make my wrist back to normal. Oh my God!!!
With this golden opportunity, I asked for a DEXA scan. Result finds that my bones are not normal and it doesn't reach the osteoporosis zone. I am having ostepenia which is in between normal and osteoporosis. Dr. Wong prescibed to me Protaxoz for another month to continue to improve my bone density after which he will see me again.
It is important for a person, especially lady, to have enough intake of calcium before the age of 30. Usually after 30, bone tends to lose its calcium. The higher the bone density at the age of 30, the slower the osteoporosis. It is important for young people to have enough calcium then. After 30, the calcium taken is just to maintain those lost. Many people do not understand the concept. They only start taking calcium at the age of 40 to 50 which is not really effective anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

盗贼獊狂

杭州之旅(9)- 小瀛洲及三潭印月

相煎何太急